Tuesday, December 29, 2009

American Legends: Walker Evans, Photographer.








While in upstate NY I visited the Fenimore Museum in Cooperstown, NY. Besides having one of the most premier collections of folk art, they are currently showing a collection of legendary photographer Walker Evans. The 8x10 photographs have been reprinted beautifully and blown up to much larger sizes, allowing the viewer to see details that were impossible to see prior. I've attached a some of my favorite photos of his just so I can have a small visual archive to look back on.





Walker Evans in 1937

Walker Evans (November 3, 1903 – April 10, 1975) was an American photographer best known for his work for the Farm Security Administration documenting the effects of the Great Depression. Much of Evans's work from the FSA period uses the large-format, 8x10-inch camera. He said that his goal as a photographer was to make pictures that are "literate, authoritative, transcendent".
From Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. My brother just stumbled me your blog and I owe him one. These photos are the kind of vintage photos that NEED seeing. I am loving your blog, totally picking up what you are putting down.
    Cheers,
    Tracey@Paperdollsforboys

    ReplyDelete