Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving on 37th Street.

Been a little absent on updating this- oh well. Had a nice Thanksgiving at my parent's house.

The (Completely Vegan) Menu:

Squash Stuffed with Traditional Thanksgiving Stuffing
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Braised Brussel Sprouts
Warm Cabbage and Apple Salad
Steamed Kale
Steamed Green Beans with Miso-Basil Sauce
6 Mushroom Gravy

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Burnt Sugar Top
Red Wine and Maple Syrup Poached Pears with Almond Cream

Sparkling Apple Cider/San Pellegrino with Meyer Lemon Slices
Green Tea

I'm so lucky that my parents are supportive of making a 100% vegan Thanksgiving meal- and that they know how to cook.

I snapped some photos of the loft where I grew up. The space is also my Mom's photography studio, so there is no actual dining room. The table setting is quite literally a set- the gray wall is a prop wall and the table is a tiled surface my uncle, artist Jack Stewart, painted in the 50s supported by sawhorses. Stella was also a guest- she peed on the carpet (twice).

The hectic kitched, with my Father's series of question mark paintings in gradating shades of gray.
East meets West in a mash up of a traditional American Thanksgiving meal prepared with some Japanese ingredients.

Mom and Dad preparing.

The squash tops.

A Japanese prayer wrapped around a tile made by my uncle, Jack Stewart.

The "living room".

A oil portrait of an Uncle on my Father's side, painted by my Father.

Smallest TV in the world.

The dining set.



These fabulous candlesticks are a birthday present from my Mother to me.

Neat stuff.

A cool candlestick made by a friend of the family out of iron and a vintage chandelier.

Paperwhites.


Me and Stella. She refused to sit still. .

No comments:

Post a Comment