Friday, June 26, 2009

The Highline Park.



The highline tracks in mid Manhattan are an area that I have always held very close to my heart. Built in the 1930s, the 13 miles of elevated tracks were originally built to take freight traffic off of the streets. Used up until 1980, the line grew abandoned and the threat of demolition was impending. Growing up, my friends and I would climb up whatever we could to explore these abandoned freight tracks elevated above 10th avenue on the west side of the island. I spent countless nights exploring the area where no one was supposed to be- so imagine my surprise when I heard that the a small group of activists lobbied to turn this small, off-limits space into a public park. Of course, I had mixed feelings- the city was going to take this odd and wonderful bit of sanctuary and turn it into a remodeled, sanitary, gentrified place where anyone could go. However, the alternative was to tear it down, so I'll take what I can get.


You can find more information about the highline at http://www.thehighline.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment